Family law encompasses some of the most difficult issues San Jose couples and families can face, including divorce and child custody battles. If you are facing a family law matter, you need a San Jose Family Law Attorney you can trust.
Compassionate Family Law Services
Attorney Jean G. Ashton handles the following types of family law cases:
- Dissolution – If you and your spouse no longer wish to be married, a dissolution allows you to end your legal relationship. During this process, you will divide your property and debts, establish any necessary child custody arrangements and finalize any other issues relevant to the separation.
- Child Custody – Child custody arrangements protect the children of parents that don’t live together. Two types of custody will be determined in this type of case: physical custody and legal custody. While physical custody determines where the child lives, legal custody determines which parent will be responsible for making important decisions on behalf of the child.
- Child Visitation – A parent who doesn’t have primary physical custody of his or her child can request visitation. Visitation will typically occur in accordance with a schedule approved by the court.
- Child Support – In most cases, a child’s noncustodial parent will be required to pay child support to the child’s custodial parent on a regular basis. The exact amount of support required will be determined based on the income of the parents, the custody arrangement and other factors.
- Pre and Post-Nuptial Agreements – Pre and post-nuptial agreements are designed to protect both parties in a marriage. While a prenuptial agreement is completed prior to the wedding, a post-nuptial agreement is completed after the couple has already married.
Hiring a Family Law Attorney in San Jose
If you are facing a family law matter, having an experienced attorney on your side is essential. Your attorney will help you understand how the law applies to your situation so that you can build the strongest possible case. A qualified family law attorney can also help you make the right decisions for your family and your future every step of the way.
Attorney Jean G. Ashton provides family law services throughout San Jose and the surrounding area. He speaks both English and Spanish. Call Jean G. Ashton, Attorney at Law, today to schedule your free half-hour consultation.